Property is often the biggest investment and largest financial transaction that many of us will make in our lifetime. So you can't afford to make mistakes or get it wrong!
Our property and conveyancing team take care of the legal aspects of buying, selling, leasing and developing property. We specialise in the north eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Benefit from our decades of local experience and relationships.
The conveyancing process is a lot more complicated and time consuming than you might think. It is well worth the investment of having an experienced conveyancing team that is backed by lawyers to help manage the process for you.
We manage the legal process of transferring ownership of a legal title of land (property) from one person (or entity, such as a company or trust) to another and facilitate the financial settlement.
Our goal is to make sure everything is done correctly, proceeds smoothly and in a timely manner and that your interests are protected. We don't cut corners. We double check everything.
How do we help?
Buying a property
If you are buying a property, conveyancing involves quite a bit of research into the property you plan to buy to ensure there are no nasty surprises, as well as reviewing the legal documents and overseeing settlement.
It is our job to look after the following on your behalf:
- Review, clarify and lodge legal documents – e.g. the Contract of Sale and Memorandum of Transfer
- Research the property and its Certificate of Title including:
- checking for easements and type of title
- examining an Owners Corporation certificate where there is common property
- verifying whether there are any outstanding dues for overdue payments or unpaid land taxes.
- researching if any government authority has a vested interest in the land or if any planned development could effect the property (eg. local council, Melbourne Water, Roads and Traffic Authority, gas and electricity providers
- discovering any undisclosed information, such as outstanding property debts, legal disputes, or any unauthorised construction work that may have been carried out.
- organising pest and building inspections
- Review any mortgage documents
- Put the deposit money in a trust account
- Calculate the adjustment of rates and taxes, including adjustments for rates by the council or water utility
- Arrange payment of stamp duties
- Settle the property – act on your behalf, advise when the property is settled, contact your bank or financial institution when final payments are being made
- Represent your interest with a vendor or their agent.
We can also help you arrange finance if necessary.
Selling a Property
If you are selling a property, the primary focus of the conveyancing process is to prepare the Contract of Sale, liaise with potential buyers and make sure you receive the cash at settlement.
It is our job to do the following on your behalf:
- Prepare the legal documents including the Vendors Statement and Contract of Sale. We can provide you with a prepared Contract of Sale for your real estate agent within 2 days (subject to availability of Certificate of Title).
- Represent you in dealings with the buyer – e.g. request to extend dates, ask title questions etc.
- Settle the property – act on your behalf, advise when the property is settled, contact your bank or financial institution when final payments are being made.
Why choose us?
We offer advice that you can rely on, from conveyancing and property lawyers who understand the intricacies of the local property market and with strong relationships with everyone involved in the transaction - from banks and financial providers to real estate agents.
Not all conveyancers are lawyers. At Tonkin Legal, we have a team of highly skilled conveyancers, supervised by experienced lawyers, who carefully and thoroughly reviews every transaction.
This gives all our conveyancing clients peace of mind and becomes particularly important if things go wrong and you need a property lawyer to resolve a dispute or issues that arise.
Having served clients in the north eastern suburbs of Melbourne for more than 50 years, we have a deep understanding of the local property market and the potential issues that you will have to look out for.
Over this time, we have built strong relationships with everyone involved in property transactions - from local real-estate agents, to accountants and financial services providers and local councils.
Contact us for a competitive quote
Our conveyancing prices are competitive with local conveyancing companies and provide the added confidence of having a highly experienced law firm oversee your transaction. We are also covered by professional indemnity insurance.
In addition to our legal professional fee, you will be charged for out of pocket expenses incurred on your behalf. These could include the costs of title searches, certificate fees, building and pest inspections, survey report, home building insurance, valuation fees, mortgage insurance, stamp duty and mortgage duty and council and water rates.
That's why our clients choose us to look after what is often the biggest investment and most important financial transaction of their lifetime.